Spring is finally here and with Easter decor already tucked away I am busy making things for spring and summer. With my dining room table being black I like to add a pop of color with placemats and centerpieces. Usually, burlap is associated with cooler months and the colors of fall but this Burlap Placemat is perfect for spring with a beautiful ribbon woven through!
Burlap Placemat for Spring
- Roll of burlap or burlap by the yard
- Sewing machine, needle, and thread
Begin by rolling out the burlap and cutting it to size. I like the roll of burlap vs by the yard because it is already cut to the right width. Determine how large you want your placemats and cut the burlap into rectangles.
Next you will sew around the edge of your burlap. This will allow you to fray the edges but will create a clean stopping point. I came in about 1″ from the edge on all sides. If you use thread approximately the same color as the burlap it will not be seen.
Once the edges are sewn begin pulling the horizontal and vertical pieces of burlap thread out until the edges are frayed back to your stitch.
Once the edges have been frayed you will fold one edge up about 2″. You will then mark the burlap at 1″ increments. This will be where you will cut to feed the ribbon through.
Cut at each mark creating a slit just large enough for your ribbon to slip through. Repeat with remaining sides.
Next feed the ribbon through the openings you’ve made. The ribbon will create a basket weave look with the burlap.
Feed pieces of ribbon through each side. Make sure that the ribbon comes out the top of your placemat at 2 matching corners and to the under side at the other 2 corners. You’ll then tie a bow on the top of the corners opposite each other and a simple knot in the ribbon on the backside.
Your placemat is finished and ready to use! These will be a great addition to your table decor!
- Hi-Chew Candy Peg Bags Only $0.50 - 07/15/2018
- Everpro Gray Away Quick Stick Root Touch Up Money Maker - 07/15/2018
- Dove Dry Shampoo Only $2.49 - 07/15/2018
- Tide & Gain Products Only $0.94 – Starts 7/15! - 07/14/2018
- FREE Crest Toothpaste! - 07/14/2018
- Oreo Milka Candy Bars Only $0.19 - 07/14/2018
- Wet N Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Lipstick Only $1.79 - 07/13/2018
- Ajax Dish Soap Only $0.49 - 07/13/2018
- YUM! Tic Tac Gum Only $0.14 - 07/12/2018
- 6 Types of Travel Fraud and Travel Scams – How to Protect Yourself - 07/12/2018