Disclosure: This is a sponsored post and we are engaged with Alamo on this project. All opinions are 100% my own.
Working while on vacation has become an epidemic in American families. We work and work and work at our jobs. And then we work some more. Whether we punch a clock, are salaried, or self-employed, most of us put as much – or sometimes more – effort into our careers as we do in our families. Which is why it’s no surprise at all that many family trips see one or both breadwinners working while on vacation.
Working While on Vacation – A New Trend in the Workplace
Before we get into families working while on vacation, let’s look at a few statistics from Alamo Rent A Car’s 2017 Family Vacation Survey. They do perfectly illustrate the mindset that leads to so many people being unable to relax on what should be a laid back break from the everyday grind.
It has actually become a cultural phenomenon to shame other people for taking a vacation. In fact, millennials are far more likely to vacation shame their co-workers than non-millennials (33% vs 14%). In addition, 68% of millennials feel shame when they take the vacation time which they’ve earned. Forty-six percent of millennials even said that they feel the need to justify their vacation use to their bosses. So it’s no surprise that this age range is where we see the largest number of people working while on vacation.
It doesn’t end there. In addition to vacation shaming and guilt, many in the workforce also put undue pressure on themselves to work while on vacation. Thirty-four percent said they do so because it feels good to know they’re needed. And twenty-six percent said they do it because their co-workers are doing it, while twenty-three percent said they want to impress their bosses. The pressure to work and work and work forever never stops.
Breaking the Cycle of Working While on Vacation
The Scenic Route, a travel blog on Alamo Rent A Car’s website wants to change how people view vacationing. It’s unhealthy and counter-productive to not take advantage of vacation days or to work while on vacation. The Scenic Route offers travel information and guides dedicated to helping people get the most out of their vacations and learn to love down time.
If you’re guilty of working while on vacation, head over to The Scenic Route and get some inspiration for a trip AWAY from work. Fully away. Put down the smartphone and enjoy life! =)
- Stock Up!! Del Monte Fruit & Oats Only $0.23 Each!! Wow! - 08/20/2018
- This Week Snag Dial Complete Foaming Hand Soap For ONLY $0.62! - 08/20/2018
- Grab FREE Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner!! - 08/20/2018
- Need School Supplies!! Grab This Five Star 4-Pocket Paper Folder FREE!! - 08/19/2018
- Scott Comfort Plus Bath Tissue Only $0.17 a Roll - 08/19/2018
- Start your Day off Right with Jimmy Dean Delights® Egg’wich - 08/19/2018
- Starting 8/19! FREE Colgate Enamel Health & Colgate Sensitive Toothpaste! - 08/18/2018
- Annie’s Homegrown Organic Granola Bars Only $1.60 (Reg $4.19) - 08/18/2018
- Wow!! Free Nature’s Bounty Vitamins This Week! - 08/18/2018
- Quaker Overnight Oats Oatmeal FREE - 08/17/2018