Us Hispanics are at a much higher risk to develop type 2 diabetes, and have a 51% higher death rate than whites. Nearly half of Hispanic children born in the year 2000 are likely to develop diabetes during their lives, due to being overweight; having a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes; being older than age 45; having had diabetes when pregnant.
86 million American adults (more than 1 in 3) have prediabetes and are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes, a serious health condition that can lead to heart attack and stroke. Surprisingly, nearly 90% of those with prediabetes don’t even know that they have it. But prediabetes can be reversed through weight loss, diet changes and increased physical activity, and the first step to reversing the condition is to evaluate one’s personal risk so that they can take action as soon as possible.
March 22nd is Diabetes Alert Day. To raise awareness and help people with prediabetes know where they stand and take steps to prevent type 2 diabetes, the American Diabetes Association (ADA), the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have partnered with the Ad Council to launch the first national public service advertising (PSA) campaign about prediabetes. The PSA campaign, featuring first-of-its-kind communications techniques, was developed pro bono by Ogilvy & Mather New York for the Ad Council.
But it’s not all bad news. Prediabetes often can be reversed through weight loss, diet changes and increased physical activity. Diagnosis is key: research shows that once people are aware of their condition, they are much more likely to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Education and awareness could mean the difference in so many lives.
Nearly half of you can keep track of your family’s crazy schedule, keeping track of your daily fat grams and calorie intake should be a breeze! Here’s a handy tracker you can download, print and share, and will help you make eating healthier a regular thing.
It’s time to take action and what better day to spread the message than on Diabetes Alert Day!
- Sparkle Paper Towels Only $4 - 06/24/2018
- Splenda Sweetener Only $1.50 - 06/24/2018
- Tic Tac Gum Only $0.30 - 06/24/2018
- Energizer Max Batteries 16 Pack Only $6.99 – No Coupons Needed - 06/23/2018
- Softsoap Body Wash Only $2! No Coupons Needed – Starts 6/24 - 06/23/2018
- Downy Infusions Liquid Only $2.50 - 06/22/2018
- YES! Oxi Clean Laundry Detergent Only $0.99 – Starts 6/24 - 06/22/2018
- Clamato Michelada Drink Recipe – BOGO Deal at Publix - 06/22/2018
- All Laundry Detergent Only $1.97 - 06/21/2018
- DiGiorno Pizza Only $3 – Starts 6/24 - 06/21/2018